TV Nerd Tip
If you love sports, you surely know how vital it is to choose a TV provider that knows how to cater to all your needs. Whether it’s you watching your favorite team play on the weekends or after a long day of work, or having your friends over to watch the latest game, it’s important to make sure you have all the sports channels and variety you need to enjoy yourself.
Of course, there are plenty of TV providers out there that target sports fans. Choosing one can actually feel like a daunting task because of all the info you need to read up on.
DirecTV Sports Pack
DirecTV is usually very popular among sports fans. That’s mostly because of their NFL SUNDAY TICKET which offers access to all out-of-market NFL games. Currently, this perk is exclusive to DirecTV, so you won’t find it anywhere else.
You can even get the NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX if you want to stream your favorite NFL games on your computer or mobile devices.
Besides that, you’ll also be happy to know that DirecTV’s programming features all major sports networks, so you’re sure to find what you’re looking for.
Other perks include:
- NHL Center Ice – View up to 40 out-of-market matches each week, and choose if you prefer home or away feeds.
- MLB Extra Innings – Take advantage of up to 100 live out-of-market Major League Baseball games every week. And if you want to stream baseball in your browser, MLB.TV is available.
- NBA League Pass – Enjoy up to 40 out-of-market games per week. You also get access to NBA News, NBA GameTime Live, NBA Inside Stuff, and more.
- Fox Soccer Plus – Watch any international and club soccer game you want, as well as UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League matches. FOX Soccer Plus also includes rugby matches (National Rugby League, the Heineken Cup, and other events)
- MLS Direct Kick – With DirecTV, you can view up to 236 regular-season MLS matches, as well as select pre-game shows, post-game shows, and playoff games.
DirecTV features one of the most popular sports packages out there: The DirecTV SPORTS PACK. Its attractive pricing (around $13/month) combined with its amazing offerings make it very appealing to most sports fans. What offerings are I talking about, you might ask? Well, here’s a quick outline:
- 30 regional sports networks – Keep up with your favorite college teams or pros across the country, and enjoy quality coverage on ESPN’s Goal Line and Bases Loaded channels.
- Specialty sports – If you’re interested in watching outdoor sports or even learning about sports history, DirecTV offers access to ESPN Classic, TVG, and the Outdoor Channel
- International sports – Watch various soccer league games from around the world — with pre-game and post-game commentary and analysis.
- College sports – Watch your favorite college sports any season on DirecTV’s dedicated channel. Plus, with College Extras you can even get up to eight out-of-market college basketball and football games per week.
- The MLB Network Strike Zone – Enjoy cut-ins, stat and score updates, up-to-date game highlights (and more) during MLB live broadcasts
Another thing that makes DirecTV a popular option for people who love sports is the fact that the Genie (DirecTV’s high-end HD DVR) lets you choose which teams you want to follow. By doing that, you’ll be able to find all the respective teams’ game listings in one place, which is very convenient.
On top of all this, DirecTV features Pay-Per-View sports options too. Whether you want to view the best boxing matches out there or the latest MMA fights, DirecTV has got you covered with its Pay-Per-View feed.
Lastly, here’s one perk you’ll surely love: The Game Mix Channel. Basically, it’s a feature that lets you preview up to eight channels at the same time on your HD screen.
Dish Network Multi-Sport Package
Dish also has:
- MLB Extra Innings
- NHL Center Ice
- NBA League Pass
- Fox Soccer Plus
And if you are the kind of person who enjoys watching sports even when you’re not home, you can do just that with Dish Anywhere. Also, another thing some sports lovers like about Dish is the Multiview mode, as it lets them enjoy up to four HD channels at once.
Lastly, I should mention that Dish apparently offers the NFL Network and NFL RedZone free of charge with some of its TV plans. That, and Dish provides three other interesting packages:
- The Outdoor Package
- Willow Cricket HD
- The Racetrack Television Network
Verizon FiOS Sports Pass
Verizon FiOS’ sports offering is rather similar with what Dish provides. One of the main differences is Verizon’s Mosaic Channel which lets you preview up to four games simultaneously on the same screen. Of course, it doesn’t compare to DirecTV’s Game Mix Channel.
Other than that and the enhanced picture quality you can enjoy courtesy of Verizon’s fiber optic network, there’s not much to make Verizon’s sports offering stand out.
Essentially, Verizon has a Sports Pass that will give you access to the NFL RedZone, Willow HD, the NFL Network, and 15 extra sports networks.
Other packages include:
- MLB Extra Innings (the subscription includes MLB.TV)
- NHL Center Ice
- NBA League Pass
- Fox Soccer Plus
- MLS Direct Kick
Which Option Should You Choose?
While all providers have appealing offers, it’s hard to deny that DirecTV is the clear winner. They have everything a sports junkie could want, and they are the only provider that can offer you access to exclusive NFL games.
Also, keep in mind that DirecTV features plenty of 4K sports content and support. So, if you want to watch your favorite team in clear, ultra HD quality, you can’t go wrong with DirecTV. They even have an online list of all upcoming 4K programs online, which means you can check when the next game you want to watch in 4K is, and get the DVR ready ahead of time.
DirecTV’s 4K sports features are so good, in fact, that you can even check out upcoming 4K Premier League games if you want. And yes, it’s true that Dish offers 4K support too, but their features are limited compared to DirecTV.
Plus, if you’re interested in streaming sports and the 4K features I mentioned, you’re going to need decent Internet connection speeds. And while DirecTV doesn’t offer any Internet services of their own, you can bundle up their TV services with Internet services from other providers.
If you stick with a DirecTV + AT&T bundle, you can enjoy download and upload speeds of up to 1,000 Mbps (megabits per second) this way. Even the most budget-friendly bundles start off at 50 Mbps speeds, so stable streaming and 4K quality won’t be something you’ll have to worry about.
Oh, and if the NFL SUNDAY TICKET got your attention, you’ll be happy to know that DirecTV’s CHOICE, XTRA, PREMIER, and ULTIMATE TV plans all have this year’s NFL SUNDAY TICKET included free of charge.
So, if you’re a die-hard sports fan and want to get the most out of your TV experience, you can’t go wrong with DirecTV. In case you’re interested learning more about what they have to offer, feel free to check out our page on DirecTV deals.